Lightning storms can seem scary, and they should; they can cause a lot of damage. However, if you know what to do after you see lightning or hear thunder, you won’t get yourself into any danger. To help you with that, we’ve put together some tips for lightning safety.
How to stay safe outside in a thunderstorm:
- Always check the weather channel before going outdoors for long stretches of time.
- Find a low spot and crouch close to the ground with your feet close together. Put your hands over your head, but DO NOT LIE DOWN.
- Do not stand close to tall structures. Also, stay away from concrete, as the metal pipes beneath it can conduct the electricity from the strike.
How to stay safe inside in a thunderstorm:
- Don’t use any corded electronics.
- Stay away from water. Lightning will travel through your plumbing and, of course, water provides a great conductor for electricity.
- Stay away from windows and doors. Don’t go out on the porch, even a covered one.
If you follow all of this advice, lightning won’t have the ability to reach you. If you should find yourself in need of storm damage repairs, DK Haney Roofing can help. To find out more, please give us a call at (866) 379-4846.